How do I get a divorce?

It is recommended that you hire an attorney to file the proper paperwork and represent you in a divorce matter. If you chose to represent yourself, you must file the correctly completed paperwork with the court and pay the filing fee.

No Contested Issues

If both parties agree on all the issues involved, the respondent (the non-filing party) may sign a voluntary entry of appearance and the clerk can set a hearing date to finalize the divorce. 

Contested Issues

If the parties are not in agreement, the respondent must be served with notification that a divorce proceeding has been filed. The respondent is given an opportunity to respond (answer) to the filing. When there are contested issues within the divorce, the judge will make rulings concerning these matters issues at the scheduled hearing.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a divorce?
2. Where do I get forms to file for a divorce?
3. I was served with a summons and petition for divorce. What should I do?
4. How can I get my child support lowered or increased?
5. Who can help me collect my child support?
6. Who do I contact about my child support payments?
7. What is my child support balance or my arrearage?
8. What is the difference between a protection from abuse restraining order and a civil restraining order?
9. How can I file a petition for protection from abuse to get a restraining order?
10. How can I file a petition for protection from stalking or sexual assault to get a restraining order?
11. When the court orders child support to be paid, why don’t they implement collection actions?
12. How can I get custody of my children?
13. Who do I contact to help me fill out garnishment papers for a wage withholding?