What is the procedure to file a Small Claims case?

Visit the appropriate District Clerk’s Office and request the necessary forms for filing small claims. They will provide you with a Civil Information Sheet and a Petition. You may fill out forms at the office and file them immediately or you may take them home to complete and file later. Please note that your signature on the petition must be notarized or signed before the Clerk. 


The required filing fee must be paid at the time of filing by cash, personal check or money order payable to the Clerk of District Court.

There is also a $15 sheriff's service of process fee. This is required to serve a summons on the defendant in your case. A separate check or money order made payable to the County Sheriff's Office must accompany your petition. Do not combine the sheriff's fee with a check or money order for the filing fee.

Show All Answers

1. How are Small Claims cases different from other cases?
2. Who can I sue in Small Claims Court?
3. How do I decide where I file my Small Claims case?
4. What is the procedure to file a Small Claims case?
5. Why do I need an address for the party I am suing?
6. Can I bring witnesses to testify about my claim?
7. What will happen at the small claims hearing?
8. What do I do to collect my money or property?
9. Is the Small Claims Court ruling final?
10. What do I do, if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?