What do I do, if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?

If you are being sued in Small Claims Court and you agree that owe the other party money or property, you may pay the filing party what you owe and you will not have to appear in court. After the matter is resolved, you are responsible for providing the court with a receipt or statement signed by the other party acknowledging the claim has been paid in full. This must be filed before the scheduled hearing date and time.


If you have a claim against the plaintiff (the other party) in connection with the same matter that his claim concerns, you may file a counterclaim. Fill out the "Defendants Claim" form that came with the summons and return it as soon as possible to the Court. You still must appear at the scheduled court hearing.

Court Appearance

If you do not settle the claim against you out of court, then you must appear in court at the time scheduled or the judge may rule against you. Remember to bring with you any documents or evidence that will support your side of the dispute, and any witnesses who can speak on your behalf. The judge will give both you and the other party a chance to speak before making a decision. If the judge decides against you, you are legally bound to pay the plaintiff whatever the judge orders you to pay. You may appeal the judge’s decision.

Show All Answers

1. How are Small Claims cases different from other cases?
2. Who can I sue in Small Claims Court?
3. How do I decide where I file my Small Claims case?
4. What is the procedure to file a Small Claims case?
5. Why do I need an address for the party I am suing?
6. Can I bring witnesses to testify about my claim?
7. What will happen at the small claims hearing?
8. What do I do to collect my money or property?
9. Is the Small Claims Court ruling final?
10. What do I do, if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?